Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Who are the Greggs of Kesselt?


The Greggs of Kesselt have been with me for a very long time in various carnations. As a teenager many decades ago I was very much into Dungeons and Dragons. Imagine that. During one epic adventure I developed and advanced in levels a basic wizard that I named Morgregg. He was somewhat evil and did bad things as evil wizards are want to do. The name derived from Mordred from the Arthurian legends. I love the tales of King Arthur and all of the supporting characters. I’m sure you will notice in my writing this influence. So I played the D&D character Mor Gregg till he died off from some gruesome act of karma.

 

Around this time I started to “seriously” start writing my first great fantasy novel. This was in the early 80’s. The story line was about a King who was murdered by his cold blooded oldest son who then frames his younger brother. The younger son is banished because there just wasn’t enough evidence to convict him of regicide. He goes off to the land of night and storms to fetch a mythical sword that will avenge his father and right the terrible wrong that his brother did to him. A mysterious wizard all cloaked in robes and horribly disfigured tries to stop him. The wizard was originally going to be Mor Gregg from my D&D character. As I wrote the story I changed the wizard’s name to Tor Gregg, wizard brethren to Mor Gregg.

 

That story was never completed and is on a back burner to perhaps finish it one day; if for no other reason than to satisfy my need to tidy up the mythology of Kesselt.

 

A couple of years later I had another incredibly awesome D&D character named Miles Tegorn. He was a fighter thief extraordinaire. His name obviously came from Frank Herbert’s Dune series. Also around this time the world of Kesselt was being fleshed out more in more in short stories and fits and starts to various epics I was trying to write. Miles Tegorn morphed into Borja and then into Bor Gregg during this time of trying to get it all together in the world of Kesselt. I was up to three Greggs now.

 

Through the 90’s I tried to become a more discipline writer. I would sit down and write with pen and paper. I did complete a couple of stories, but nowhere polished enough to actually submit for publication. Then things changed in 2002. I got a new job and a new outlook in life. Essentially, I decided I needed to write or give it up. Writing a few paragraphs or a few pages just wasn’t cutting it. I needed to write and be discipline about it or I might as well just give it up.

 

I went back to all of my previous writings and decided I needed to quit spinning my tires and get serious about Kesselt. The first thing was to organize my Kesselt writings from my other stuff. I like the world of Kesselt and look forward to bringing several tales to publication. In order to write those stories there needs to be some sort of beginning point. That is why I wrote The Greggs of Kesselt. I wanted to establish who the Greggs were and also the back story of Kesselt.

 

Even though The Greggs of Kesselt is mostly about the adventures of Thomas Kinkaid, it introduces the five Greggs and the world I created. I hope you all enjoy it. I look forward to completing the other tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment