Wednesday, January 15, 2014

About A Princess of Kesselt

As I have said before, I wrote most of A Princess of Kesselt in 2005 and tried getting it published through a different publisher. I was schooled in the art of being told no by just about every publishing company and literary agent out there at the time. I had to shelve the draft until I got my publishing rights back for my first book.


I really enjoyed writing this book. I had been kicking the story idea around for some time. I actually was thinking I would write it first as my first book. But as I developed the story there was so much back ground material that would have to be covered in order to introduce the world of Kesselt that I felt the back ground would bog the story down. Thus I chose to write the Greggs of Kesselt in its first incarnation. Greggs was the vehicle to introduce the world and Princess was able to capitalize on it and move along as I intended. I don't have to spend a lot of time rehashing how Kesselt came to be. I can now concentrate on the story and how the characters have to live and deal with this strange world.


As for the story I wanted to write a different adventure story. As I have said I grew up reading just about every Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E Howard book written. I am also a big fan of James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking tales. I know Mark Twain hated them. I love the ending to Last of the Mohicans. So yeah, I copied some of that element into Princess. But as you read it you will clearly see the distinctive differences.


What I was looking for was a strong female lead but not another Red Sonja clone. And after a lot of careful thought I settled on my lead using a bow and arrow. What better weapon for a young lady than the unrealistic heavy broad sword or axe. I did think about arming Richelle with a spear but settled on the bow for more dramatic effect. This was all before I heard of the Hunger Games and Catniss.


As for the title yes its a take off of my other most favorite book ever: A Princess of Mars. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a title that did not sound like a romance novel. When I got my publishing rights back for Greggs, one of the first things I did was shorten the title. Then with the second book it kind of made sense in a thematic way to title it A Princess of Kesselt. Considering the next book will be titled A King of Kesselt I think it all fits. But yes, it also is titled in my way to pay homage to the book that got me hooked on fantasy and Sci Fy. Thank you Edgar Rice Burroughs.


I hope you enjoy A Princess of Kesselt as much as I enjoyed writing it.


ML Stidmon

No comments:

Post a Comment